If you find your child with an open
or empty container of a toxic substance, they may have been poisoned. Stay calm and
Get the poison away from the
If the substance is still in
the child's mouth, make them spit it out or remove it with your fingers. Keep this
along with any other evidence of what the child has swallowed.
Don't make the child
Don't follow instructions on
packaging about poisoning. These are often outdated. Instead, call your child's
healthcare provider or poison control center right away for instructions.
Poison Control at 800-222-1222, your child's healthcare provider, or go to the
emergency room if your child has any of these symptoms:
- Pupils that are larger than normal (dilated) or smaller than
normal (constricted )
Drowsiness, irritability, or
Nausea, vomiting, or stomach
pain without fever
Lip or mouth burns or
Strange odors on your child's
Unusual stains on your
Take or send the poison container
with your child. This is to let the healthcare provider know what your child
swallowed. Both the poison control center and your child's healthcare provider will
Your name and phone
Your child's name, age, and
Any health conditions your
Any medicines your child is
The name of the substance
your child swallowed. Read it from the container and spell it out.
The time your child swallowed
the poison (or when you found your child), and the amount you think was
Any symptoms your child is
If the substance was a prescription medicine, give all the
information on the label, including the name of the medicine. If the name of the
medicine is not on the label, give the name and phone number of the pharmacy, and
date of the prescription. Describe what the pill looked like (if you can) and if it
any printed numbers or letters on it.
If your child swallowed another substance, such as a part of a plant,
describe it as much as you can to help identify it.